Brief historical overview of Yaoundé

Legend has it that in the past, the Ewondo people, coming from the savannah region, crossed the Yom River (now the Sanaga) on the back of a huge snake and occupied the various hills where Yaoundé, the city of seven hills (there are more), the capital of the Republic of Cameroon, stands today. In 1889, the Germans, coming up from the coast (Kribi) founded a military post on this site. Then in 1909, the post became a solid fortified enclosure that the local populations called ONGOLA (fence in Ewondo, the local language) which became synonymous with the city of Yaoundé. The mistake of the Germans remained. And with the French colonisation, Yaundé became Yaoundé. Yaoundé grew very rapidly after independence in 1960, which forced a remodelling of its urbanism to give it the face of a modern capital. Not only were new roads built, but a whole series of buildings with futuristic architecture were constructed: the monument of reunification in the shape of a tiara, the sugar loaf building of the Ministry of PTT, the potato roof of the CNPS building, the Omnisport stadium, the congress centre, the new presidential palace, etc… Now equipped with a modern international airport, and with an impressive hotel park. Yaoundé is now open to tourism. The political capital also offers a good springboard for visiting the rest of the country, as the city is located at the centre of an important network of land, rail and air communications.

Facebooktwitterlinkedininstagramflickrfoursquaremail
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse e-mail ne sera pas publiée.